Here you will find all our news, media, and event details. Our latest news appears first.
We also post events, announcements, and stories on our Facebook Page. Please do feel free to re-post or re-tweet our news items if you find them interesting.
- Pope’s August prayer intention: people of the seaDuring the month of August, Pope Francis has asked us to pray for seafarers, fishers, people of the sea and their families. In a video message on the Pope Video website (part of the Pope’s Worldwide Prayer Network), the Holy Father talks specifically about “all those who work and live… Read more »
- Stella Maris welcomes crew change at Felixstowe PortSeven seafarers from a container ship are bound for home after spending almost 14 months working at sea. During a visit to Felixstowe port last Friday 24 July, our East Anglia chaplain Julian Wong learnt that seven crew members from the container ship APL Norway would be going home after… Read more »
- Aberdeen chaplain supports hospitalised fishermanA Filipino fisherman hospitalised in Aberdeen since the start of lockdown after a suspected stroke has thanked Stella Maris for providing virtual support while in hospital. Twenty-three-year-old Jericho who was working on a vessel in the North of Scotland had to be airlifted to the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary for emergency… Read more »
- Sea Sunday 2020 Prayer and MessageCardinal Peter Turkson Prefect of the Dicastery for Promotion of Integral Human Development at the Vatican has sent a message ahead of Sea Sunday which falls on 12 July this year. The Vatican has also released a prayer inspired by the Message for Sea Sunday. On 12 July Christians around… Read more »
- Sea Sunday 2020 postponedOn 12 July Christians around the world will celebrate Sea Sunday. However n the light of the continued uncertainty around coronavirus, the Catholic Bishops of England and Wales have decided to postpone Sea Sunday 2020 from July 12 to December. The date has not yet been finalised, but it is… Read more »
- Seafarers are key workers who deserve our supportOur chief executive Martin Foley spoke to Vatican News following Pope Francis’ video message to seafarers. Martin says that seafarers are among the heroes of the pandemic and are key workers who deserve our continued support. “This is a particularly difficult time for seafarers who have continued to work throughout the pandemic… Read more »
- Pope Francis sends message to seafarers and prays for themPope Francis has sent a video message of encouragement to seafarers recognised the difficulties they face as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. He expresses gratitude for their help in feeding humanity despite the risks involved and prays for those who work at sea and for stranded seafarers who have… Read more »
- Stella Maris survey reveals impact of Covid-19 on seafarersPutting food on the table, paying household bills and loans and ensuring job security are among the top concerns faced by seafarers as they cope with the impact that Covid-19 is having on their lives and that of their families. A recent survey conducted by global maritime charity Stella Maris… Read more »